Joint Counter Terrorism Team (JCTT) detectives have charged a 24-year-old woman following an ‘Islamic State inspired’ stabbing in Mill Park yesterday afternoon.
A 56-year-old man received a stab wound to his neck while asleep at his Callistemon Rise home about 4.25pm.
He was taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital where he will undergo surgery today for non-life threatening injuries.
The man’s young child was also present during the stabbing but was not injured.
The Bangladeshi national was arrested at the scene and taken to the Northern Hospital with a minor hand injury.
The woman travelled to Melbourne on February 1 on a student visa and moved into the Callistemon Rise home on Wednesday, February 7 to rent while studying.
The Victorian JCTT, which is made up of resources from the Australian Federal Police, ASIO and Victoria Police, has charged her with one count of engaging in a terrorist act under the Commonwealth Crimes Act Section 101.1.
It is expected she will front Melbourne Magistrates’ Court this morning.
Investigators will be executing search warrants at the Mill Park home and another home in Bundoora where the woman had previously stayed.
There is no suggestion that anyone in the Bundoora residence was involved in the incident in any way.
Acting Deputy Commissioner Ross Guenther said police were not looking for anyone else in relation to the investigation.
“This is an isolated incident and the community can be assured that Victoria Police is doing everything we can to keep the community safe,” he said.
“The community can expect to see an increased police presence at a number of events today and at major events in the coming weeks.
“We urge people to report any suspicious activity to triple zero (000), Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400.”
AFP acting Deputy Commissioner, National Security, Ian McCartney emphasised there were no subsequent threats to the community.
“We will allege this was a stand-alone, Islamic State inspired attack, designed to cause harm to our community,” acting Deputy Commissioner McCartney said.
“We deplore any attempt to intimidate our community. The AFP will continue to work together with Victoria Police to ensure the safety of the community and to protect our way of life in Australia.”
Since 12 September 2014, when the national terrorism threat level was raised, police have charged 85 people – including this woman – as a result of 36 counter terrorism-related operations around Australia.