HomeUncategorizedGovernment admits faulty gas heaters caused death

Government admits faulty gas heaters caused death


UPDATED: The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has admitted in a letter seen by Kinglake Ranges News that faulty Vulcan/Pyrox heritage open flue natural gas heaters  probably caused the death of a public housing tenant last year.

Over 10 per cent of Victoria’s public housing gas heaters are affected the letter states.

Sent to affected residents by Nick Foa, Director of Housing, DHHS, states “We are working as fast as we can can to install new permanent heating … this will take some time.”

“I want to sincerely apologise to you the disruption this has caused during the winter months,” Foa said.

KAW DHHS Letter_Redacted
A redacted copy from the Department of Health & Human Services. Read the full letter here.

CORRECTION: Kinglake Ranges News first reported the fire was probably caused by a Rinnai (brand) heater. This is incorrect. It was the Vulcan/Pyrox heritage open flue gas heater that caused the problems.

Kinglake Ranges News apologies for the error.

The Minister for Housing, Disabilty and Ageing, Martin Foley; Nick Fao, Director of Housing (DHHS) and Rinnai have been contacted – but not responded to – request for comment.


Most Popular

Protected: Audio file only

Moir’s View …

Discover more from VicNews

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading