mfb frv pumper
Fire Rescue Victoria pumper. PHOTO: Ashley Geelan/VicNews

A 77-year-old man has been confirmed deceased after a fire broke out at a retirement village at Kilmore, north of Melbourne around 6am.

Around 80 firefighters attended a fire involving two units at Kingsgate Village retirement home on Royal Parade.

A 77-year-old man and his wife were in a unit that was destroyed by the blaze at Kingsgate Village retirement home.

Kingsgate Village describes itself as a lifestyle village for over 55s.

Occupants of one unit escaped before it was completely destroyed by fire.

The deceased man only recently moved in with his partner and is yet to be formally identified.

Victoria Police Acting Inspector Jaymee Cutler said around 40 people were evacuated from units at the village, but the man died at the scene.

“His wife’s obviously in a fair bit of shock. It’s an awful experience for anyone to go through. Our police members have been sitting very closely with her, helping her get through this,” she said.

“This is quite a little community, a tight-knit community, being a retirement village, and I’m sure they’ll all gather round each other to get through this awful situation,” she said.

The fire took just over an hour to bring under control whilst firefighters extinguished hot spots.

Two units have been destroyed. Three others have suffered heat damage.

Melissa Johnstone’s mother Glynis and her husband lived in one of the units that was destroyed but escaped without injury.

“She just heard some noise so she thought she’d get up and go to the toilet and her whole bathroom was on fire,” Ms Johnstone said.

“I think the shock is still kicking in.” 

Fire investigators are at the scene but police say it is not yet clear how the fire started.

The cause of the fire is yet to be determined. A crime scene has been established.

Police will prepare a report for the Coroner.

Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000 or

Published 9am, Updated 8.46pm.

SOURCEFire Rescue Victoria
Previous articleMoir’s View …
Next articleMooroolbark crash under investigation