HomeSportFootballSt Mary's smash Laurimar by 74

St Mary’s smash Laurimar by 74

St Mary’s has jumped three games clear on top of the Northern Football/Netball League Division 3 ladder, after a 74-point thrashing of Laurimar at Whatmough Park yesterday.

After leading by one point at quarter time, the Burra put the foot to the pedal in the last three quarters, kicking 15 goals to four to run away with an 18.15 (123) to 7.7 (49) victory.

An array of St Mary’s players had brilliant games, in particular Myles Guldon who booted four majors and found plenty of the ball. Nick Dean presented hard all day and found himself kicking three majors and Jacob Yeomans found plenty of the ball in a strong display.

Josh Williamson and Mitchell Thompson were the standouts for the Power on a tough day, with Williamson booting five majors and Thompson finding plenty of the ball.

Laurimar got off to the perfect start with Williamson kicking the first two majors to give the visitors an early 13-point lead.

Consecutive goals came for the Burra as Dean and Guldon kicked truly and levelled up the scores midway through the first term.

Late goals followed with the Power’s Jesse Politini and the Burra’s James Boarotto rounding out the first quarter, giving the home side a one-point advantage at the first break.

Dean continued his first quarter form into the second by kicking two more majors to bring his tally to three for afternoon.

In a clinical eight-goal to two second quarter, the Burra took full advantage of their outside run and took a commanding 43-point lead into the main break.

With the Power staring down the barrel of their first loss in four matches, they needed to gain some ascendency around the contest in the second half to get back into the game.

However, early third quarter goals to Dean and Lachlan Potter soon curtailed the Power’s hopes of getting back into the contest, with St Mary’s extending its lead to 55 points midway through the third term.

They were the only two goals in the third quarters as the Burra went into the final change with a 55-point lead and a good opportunity to boost their percentage.

It did not take long for the Burra to extend their three quarter time lead with Chris Petroro’s first goal for the day coming in the first 15 seconds of the final quarter.

A holding the ball free kick awarded Laurimar’s Thompson his third goal for the day, but the damage had been done and the Burra ran out 74 point victors.

St Mary’s will look to carry the momentum into its Round 14 match when it hosts second-placed Panton Hill at Whatmough Park.

Laurimar has the opportunity to get back on the winners’ list when it returns home to face sixth-placed Heidelberg West, where both will look to keep their finals hopes alive.

Final score: St Mary’s 18.15 (123) def Laurimar 7.7 (49)


Most Popular

Protected: Audio file only

Moir’s View …

Discover more from VicNews

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading