HomeSportFootballBundoora charges towards finals

Bundoora charges towards finals

Bundoora looks destined for another Northern Football Netball League division one finals appearance after a scintillating final term from Gary Moorcroft inspired the Bulls to a come from behind victory over Greensborough.

Trailing by 12 points at three quarter time, Moorcroft kicked three final term goals to guide the Bulls to a 13.18 (96) to 11.13 (79) win at War Memorial Park.

The result moved the Bulls a game and 22 percent above sixth-placed Heidelberg heading into the final round of the season.

Two weeks ago Greensborough was favoured to secure a top-two finish, yet now the Boro look headed for the elimination final in the opening week of the finals.

Moorcroft was in Bundoora’s best, along with coach Ricky Dyson, who was also instrumental in the final term comeback. Joe Palazzolo, Peter Hood and Damandeep Aujla also played important roles.

Greensborough were the better side for three quarters of the game. Charlie Molyneux, Billy Bedford and Jacob Ireland were impressive all day and can leave the game with their heads held high.

Sitting in fifth position on the ladder, Bundoora needed a win to distance itself from Heidelberg and secure its 18th successive finals series.

The Boro entered the game in fourth position on the ladder and were looking for redemption after going down in a thriller to North Heidelberg in Round 16.

The game didn’t pan out as the Bulls had wished, only managing to kick two goals in the opening half.

Kicking against the wind, Bundoora failed to kick a goal in the opening term, while Greensborough hit the scoreboard with three of its own. Two goals from Tristan Stead and another from Tynan Smith gave the Boro a perfect start.

Bundoora failed to capitalise on the assistance of the wind in the second and squandered many of opportunities to reduce the margin. The Bulls managed to kick the first two goals of the quarter, through Moorcroft and David Mitchell, but wasted many attacking plays.

The star of the quarter was Greensborough defender Billy Bedford, who intercepted many of the Bulls forward entries.

The Boro led by 12 points at half time, but with the Bulls struggling to convert goals, a big third quarter could have sealed the game for Greensborough.

Peter Hood stamped his foot on the game in the third term, with an incredible goal from a stoppage.

Greensborough then hit back with two goals of their own through Brody Tickell and Stead.

Aujla, Moorcroft and Nick Grabowski kicked truly at the other end to tie the scores, before Andrew Stellas and Tickell converted to give the Boro a two-goal lead at the final break.

At the break, Ricky Dyson urged his side to lower their eyes and stick their tackles. The Bulls increased their intensity from the start of the term and within a minute, Moorcroft stamped his mark by kicking a goal to reduce the margin to six points.

Ben Pannam replied by sticking a tackle and kicking a goal to return the 12-point lead, before Moorcroft pulled a rabbit out of the hat for his third goal.

Greensborough tried its best to prevent another fourth term fadeout and when Josh Riddle goaled from a free kick, it appeared the Boro would hold on.

But Bundoora continued to attack and its ferocious appetite for the ball was too hard for Greensborough to contain.

Ben Nesci ran forward from defence to put the Bulls in front with just over five minutes remaining. The Bulls kicked three more majors to end the game and keep their finals hopes intact.

Final score: Greensborough 10.13 (73) def by Bundoora 12.18 (90)

This article originally written by Christopher Chrysostomou and published by Northern Football/Netball League. Read the original article. Image by Nathan William Media.


Most Popular

Moir’s View …

Seven West CEO resigns